Life for many of us has become go, go, go all the time, and we struggle to find a moment to just take a deep breath. However, you should try to find a way to include an extra 60 seconds for flossing your teeth every day. Sure, you may be flossing now, but what often happens is individuals normally floss when time permits, so they squeeze it in anywhere they can. Try to avoid rushing it, and take a few moments to really focus on doing quality healthy flossing for 1-3 minutes. Here are a few pointers to keep in mind:
– Floss at least once a day.
– Break off a piece of thread approximately 18 inches in length.
– Wrap each end of the floss around each middle finger until you only have an inch or two to work with.
– Gently slide the floss up-and-down between your teeth and avoiding pressing too hard when reaching the gumline.
– When you reach the gumline , gently curve the floss into a ‘c’ shape around the tooth, to go beneath the gumline.
– When moving to a new tooth, use the same gentle up-and-down motion to move away from your finished tooth.
– Each time you move to a new tooth, use a new section of the floss by adjusting the line using your middle finger.
– Remember to get between every tooth, as well as the backside of your last teeth.
Be sure to ask your dentist for recommendations on acceptable floss products, and don’t forget to brush twice daily.
If you would like to schedule an appointment with Justin Karrel DMD, you can call us at 540-885-1631 , or stop by our office in Staunton, Virginia.